Thursday 7 February 2008

The Mystery of Hypnosis

When I was desperately trying to lose weight I bought every diet book that looked interesting. Until I came across a book that came together with a CD, that claimed that just listening to the CD will get me to my ideal weight. Well I am my ideal weight now, but has it to do with that CD that I listened to 20 times approx? Good question . I don’t know. I don’t think so. But perhaps!……….

Another time in my life, I wanted to become rich quick! Sounds good? Among the many books I bought, one was on hypnosis exercises that one should do on oneself that should cause me to attract riches to myself. Did I do the exercises? Yes. Did I become rich from it? No. This time I’m sure about my answer.

So what is hypnosis? Does it work? What does it do? Many people adamantly oppose the truth and ethics of hypnosis. Actually, until 1954, hypnosis was against American Medical Association rules and regulations. How the law changed is a story on its own, for another article.(See the article on Milton H Erickson, MD,PhD)

I was always afraid of the mystics that evolve round hypnosis. There is an incredible amount of misconceptions about hypnosis. Although it is becoming far more popular for people to resort to hypnosis in order to live a healthier, happier and better quality life. We need to know what is the ‘dark side of hypnosis’ that is often mentioned on all those good entertainment tales or books, and what hypnosis is not. That will clear the way to understanding what hypnosis IS.

What Hypnosis is NOT:
Hypnosis is NOT the ability to have complete domination over one’s mind
Hypnosis is NOT the domination of another human being.
Hypnosis is NOT the ability to dominate another persons’ will

No comments: